Be sure to join us this summer as the Delaware Valley Opera begins its 4th decade with a double-bill of light-hearted comic operas, including one of Mozart’s most beloved works. Don’t forget to bring the kids and grandkids!
Cox and Box/Trial by Jury - July 28, 29 and August 4, 5
Following the success of last season’s Gilbert & Sullivan offering, The Mikado, one of the duo’s most popular operas, come see how it all began!
Cox and Box, or, the Long-Lost Brothers, was first performed in 1866, five years before Sullivan teamed up with Gilbert. Sullivan’s delightful music is paired with a clever book by F. C. Burnand. It is the story of a landlord, Bouncer, who rents the same room to two men, one who works at night, and the other who works during the day. Neither is the wiser until one of them is given the day off and comes home early, only to discover someone else living in his rooms! Fireworks ensue, and improbable coincidence leads the two lodgers on a merry journey of discovery you have to see to believe!
Trial by Jury is the earliest surviving Gilbert & Sullivan collaboration. Edwin, the defendant, is being sued by Angelina for breach of promise of marriage. Gilbert’s witty spoof of the British judicial system, with a still-current element of celebrity trial madness thrown into the mix, combine with Sullivan’s sparkling music to add up to a delightful romp, all ending in typical Gilbertian fashion!
The Magic Flute - August 18, 19, 25, 26
Written by Mozart at the age of thirty-five, not long before his death, The Magic Flute is considered by many to be his finest opera. Sung here in English, the opera has elements of magic, Freemasonry symbolism, and political satire, all set to German folk tunes and classic operatic writing. Featuring the high-flying singing of the Queen of the Night, the high priest Sarastro’s solemn intoning, along with the antic birdcatcher Papageno’s duet with his soul-mate Papagena, and the lovely singing of the two would-be lovers, Tamino and Pamina, this is a delightful, beautiful, and magical journey into a memorable fantasy world only the genius of Mozart could create!
Our Mission is to provide opportunities for area talent to study and perform a wide range of opera repertoire; to introduce opera to young people and the general public through performances, workshops and educational programs and to foster collaborations between creative and interpretive artists and technicians.
The Delaware Valley Opera is a member of the Delaware Valley Arts Alliance, the Arts Council for Sullivan County, NY. Our address is P.O. Box 446, Narrowsburg, NY, 12764 and phone (845) 887-3083.
The DVO has been in residence each summer at the Tusten Theatre since 1991. A town-owned, former movie house, the Tusten Theatre is located at 210 Bridge Street in Narrowsburg, and is managed by the Delaware Valley Arts Alliance.
We are a member company of Opera America and we are proud of the professional quality of our productions and our artists. Explore our work through Videos, Production Photography, Cast lists and Program notes.
- 2017 The Mikado
- 2017 The Messiah Sing-Along - Dec 17 in Monticello NY - FREE
- 2017 Spring Concerts "Lots of Songs About Birds" and "Lots of Songs About Animals"
- 2017 Season
- 2017 River Revels, a Medieval Feast and Music
- 2017 Leonard Bernstein's "Trouble in Tahiti" and Catskills Pride
- 2017 Leonard Bernstein's "Trouble in Tahiti"
- 2017 Annual Gala "DVO Opera Vaudeville and Cabaret"
- 2016 Season
- 2016 Die Fledermaus
- 2016 CARMEN
- 2015 The Barber of Seville
- 2015 Recitals of Aria and Song, at the National Opera Center, NYC
- 2015 Opera Takes a Holiday - Christmas
- 2015 Handel's Messiah: Community Sing-Along
- 2015 Dickens on the Delaware in Callicoon NY
- 2015 Concert of Duets & Arias, the National Opera Center, NYC
- 2015 Barsness & Berg & Guests in Recital
- 2014 The Masque of the Red Death
- 2014 Mozart's "The Impresario"
- 2014 Messiah Sing-In
- 2014 Live Broadcast on WJFF Radio Catskill
- 2014 La Traviata
- 2014 DVO Reunion Party Honoring Carol Hoehn Diefenbach
- 2014 Benefit Concert with Soprano Eileen Mackintosh
- 2014 Amahl and the Night Visitors
- 2013 Youth Opera Experience
- 2013 Verdi’s La Traviata
- 2013 The Impresario
- 2013 Savor the Arts - June 9, 2013
- 2013 Opera Advantage
- 2013 Mostly Figaro
- 2013 July Concerts
- 2013 Hansel and Gretel
- 2013 Abduction from the Seraglio
- 2012 Youth Opera Experience
- 2012 The Merry Wives of Windsor
- 2012 Rigoletto
- 2012 Otello
- 2012 Kiss Me Kate
- 2012 Amahl and the Night Visitors
- 2012 Abduction from the Seraglio
- 2012 "All's Well That Ends Well" Gala Fundraising Concert
- 2011 The Elixir of Love
- 2011 Season Photo Gallery
- 2011 Hansel and Gretel
- 2011 Gala Concert "Singers of the Valley"
- 2011 Eugene Onegin